Monday, June 22, 2009

I was on Birth control for 8 years and then quit taking it. How long before I can get pregnant?

As you may have read my husband and I are trying to have a baby. I wonder if me taking birth control for as long as I did ruined the chance of me having another baby.

So me being me I went to google to find out what the details are. This is what I foudn out and it saddened me to think I could be a woman that doesnt regain fertility.

The question I asked was, how long does it take to get the pill out of your system?

Demulen is a combination of a synthetic estrogen (ethinyl estadiol) plus a progestin (ethynodiol diacetate) that is used for hormonal contraception. It works primarily by suppressing ovulation. When these drugs are administered together, the amount of time it takes for the serum drug
level to be reduced by 1/2 (the half-life) is approximately
8 hours. In general, clearance of a drug is approximately five half-lives. However, even though a drug has technically been "cleared" from the body, it still may have lasting effects.

Unfortunately, most women think of their fertility in a way that is analogous to a light switch that is either "on" or "off." It is actually much more complicated than that. When a woman's fertility has been "interrupted" for any reason (e.g., pregnancy, or in this case by using hormonal contraception) then there is a time of "returning fertility." The amount of time that it takes for fertility to return varies widely from woman to woman and depends on each unique woman's endocrine reaction to having had her fertility interrupted. After using hormonal contraception, erratic hormonal patterns and ovulation disorders are common during this time, which may take between three and six months but can persist longer. It is believed that this leads to an inflated rate of miscarriage and even difficulties in getting pregnant. Sadly, fertility does not always completely return as a small percentage of women experience long-term fertility problems after stopping hormonal contraception. The research of Dr. Erik Odeblad, for example, suggests that for every one year that a woman takes birth control pills, the functioning of the cervix (which plays an important role in getting pregnant) ages by two years.

In summary, Demulen, as a member of the family of hormonal contraceptive agents can be expected to "clear" the body in a fairly short period of time. At the same time, however, it may have lasting effects for several months or
permanently affect a woman's ability to get pregnant after it is discontinued.

No comments:

Post a Comment